Senior Championship Semi-Final

Report Courtesy of

Summerhill are through to their first SFC final since 2013 following this double scores ‘semi’ win over Gaeil Colmcille at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday.

Summerhill ………… 1-15
Gaeil Colmcille …….. 0-9

For three quarters of the hour there was never more than two points between the sides. Summerhill upped a couple of gears to consign Gaeil Colmcille to their third SFC semi-final defeat in a row.

Summerhill outscored Gaeil Colmcille by 1-7 to 0-1 in the final quarter. In the opening three-quarters the scores were tied seven times.

It was only in the final 10 minutes that John Lyons’ men pulled clear to book a final date with holders Simonstown.

A solo David Larkin point followed by a Micheal Byrne free left a goal in it, 0-12 to 0-9. with 55 minutes gone.

The only goal arrived in the 57th minute. It was a standout moment in a mediocre game. Semi-finals are ultimately about the result.

Sub Conor Lyons capped an impressive second-half by creating the game’s only goal. He picked out Davy Dalton in space with a long delivery. The latter placed Barry Dardis who netted from close range at the old swimming pool end.

Summerhill tagged on three points – Michael Byrne (two frees) after Davy Dalton brought his tally to two points.

Overall Summerhill posted 10 wides, seven in the first-half. Gaeil Colmcille missed eight, four in each half.

The teams were level twice in the second-quarter, for the final time after 40 minutes when Brian Hanlon pointed a free from distance. The latter limped off after 54 minutes with his side trailing by 0-9 to 0-11.

After the excitement that packaged the curtain-raiser, matters were muted early on here. Oisin Reilly got the Kells-men off to a good start three minutes in.

David Larkin countered for the south county side. It was the first of four times the scores were tied in the opening half.

Oisin Reilly’s second point restored Gaeil Colmcille’s lead. By the 11th minute Summerhll were ahead with scores from Sean and Davy Dalton.

Of concern to Summerhill were six first quarter wides into the town end. On the plus side John Lyons’ charges were 0-4 to 0-2 ahead after 17 minutes.

Gaeil Colmcille outpointed Summerhill by 0-4 to 0-1 in the second quarter. When Seamus Mattimoe landed a 24th minute free the teams were level for the third time.

A Brian Ennis free had Summerhill back in front. The Kells-men closed the half with points from Brian Hanlon (free) and Mattimoe to be ahead 0-6 to 0-5 at the break. They led just once thereafter.

Summerhill – Tony McDonnell; Iarla Hughes, Willie Ryan, Ronan Ryan; Padraig Geraghty (0-1), Richie Hatton (C), Ross Ryan; Michael Byrne (0-3 fs), Brian Ennis (0-1f); David Larkin (0-3), Barry Dardis (1-2), Kevin Lyons; Sean Dalton (0-3), Liam Shaw, David Dalton (0-2). Subs – Conor Lyons for Shaw (ht), Caolan Young for K Lyons (47), Ciaran Gillespie for Dardis (59), John Lavelle for Ross Ryan (61), Cian Devlin for Geraghty (65).

Gaeil Colmcille – Justin Carry-Lynch; Cormac Ferguson, Barry Smith, Jordan Muldoon; Barry Tormay (0-1), Johnny Quigley, James Reilly; Cormac Keegan, Paul Tormay; Seamus Mattimoe (0-4, 3fs), Seanie Curran, Fionn Ferguson; Oisin Reilly (0-2), Brian Hanlon (0-2 fs), Martin Barrett (C). Subs – Ryan Farnham for O Reilly (41), Stevie McManus for F Ferguson (46), Evan Sheridan for P Tormay (56), Stephen Reddy for Quigley (64).