Senior Championship Quarter Final

Report Courtesy of

Summerhill gained the final last four spot in the SFC on Tuesday night at Ashbourne where they saw off Navan O’Mahonys in this quarter-final fixture

Summerhill ……  2-12
O’Mahonys …….. 1-10

John Lyons’ men turn their attention to a semi-final joust with Gaeil Colmcille on Sunday following their first championship outing in 32 days.

Summerhill overcame the concession of an early goal to wind-assisted O’Mahonys to outscore the Brews Hill side by 2-8 to 0-3in 24 minutes that straddled the interval.

When Sean Dalton bagged Summerhill’s second goal, a minute following resumption, with assistance from brother Davy the south county side looked set to ease to the finish line having moved 2-8 to 1-4 clear.

Gradually, O’Mahonys began to nibble at the deficit after Summerhill seemed set to ease into the last four.

Tomas O Flaharta’s charges endured another hammer blow when midfielder Conor Finnegan incurred a leg injury in the 33rd minute having lost his footing.

O’Mahonys might have got closer before the end of the third quarter but Paul Whelehan’s point attempt struck the cross before Summerhill ‘keeper Tony McDonnell parried Dylan Regan’s goal attempt from the rebound.

A great Whelehan point from the left wing left just a goal between the sides, 1-9 to 2-9, by the 48th minute.

Sub Conor Lyons made an impact with three pointed frees for Summerhill. O’Mahonys responded well to the first one with a Ruairi O Coileain point from play to cut the gap to a goal again.

It proved to be O’Mahonys’ swan song – the Navan-men exited the 2016 SFC at this venue in the group stage. Summerhill were denied a third goal when O’Mahonys’ ‘keeper Marcas Brennan got down well to turn Ciaran Gillespie’s attempt out for a 45 that yielded nothing.

Navan O’Mahonys lost Cormac McGuinness in the 58th minute when he picked up a black card to go with an earlier yellow one.

This may mark the departure from the SFC stage for some of the Navan O’Mahonys’ players. If this comes to pass, they have given the club some service.

It all started so well for O’Mahonys with Shane Gillespie netting with 90 seconds of the throw-in. The scorer turned provider as O Coileain moved the town side four points clear.

Summerhill quickly set about making their mark and by the 12th minute they were in front Barry Dardis goaled with help from David Larkin, 1-2 to 1-1.

An excellent Conor Finnegan effort levelled matters for the first time. Barry Dardis (free) restored Summerhill’s lead. A standout score from wing-back James O’Reilly tied the scores for the second and final time 21 minutes in.

Summerhill outscored O’Mahonys by 0-5 to 0-1 over the remainder of the half in a sequence that included a brace of Sean Dalton points in quick succession around the 25th minute to get things going.

Cormac McGuinness pulled a point back for O’Mahonys before Barry Dardis (free) left his side 1-8 to 1-4 ahead at the break and Summerhill looked set for a last four spot.
Summerhill – Tony McDonnell; Iarla Hughes, Willie Ryan, Ronan Ryan; Padraig Geraghty, Richie Hatton, Ross Ryan; Michael Byrne, Brian Ennis (0-3 fs); David Larkin (0-1), Barry Dardis (1-3, 0-2 fs, 1 45), Kevin Lyons; Sean Dalton (1-2), Liam Shaw, David Dalton . Subs – Caolan Young for K Lyons (44), Conor Lyons (0-3 fs) for Shaw (48), Ciaran Gillespie for Ennis (50).

Navan O’Mahonys – Marcas Brennan; Ian Matthews, Niall McKeigue,  James O’Malley; James O’Reilly (0-1), Gary O’Brien, Darragh Maguire; Conor Finnegan (0-1), Stephen Monaghan; Ruairi O Coileain (0-4, 2fs), Paul Whelehan (0-2), Dylan Regan; Shane Gillespie (1-1), Stephen Bray, Cormac McGuinness (C) (0-1).  Subs – Brian Dillon for S Bray (21),  Darragh Smyth for O’Malley (ht), David Bray for Finnegan (35), Jake Regan for D Regan (46).