A-League Div 1 Rd8

Summerhill travelled to Gibbstown on a fine and dry Tuesday evening to take on Wolfe Tones in the A-League Division One. The pitch was in perfect condition and full credit to the club for the work they have done on it. Both sides would have been hoping to bounce back from defeat in the previous round and to remain in contention for a place in the league final.

The home side scored the opening point of the game after 4 minutes. However, from the resulting kick out Summerhill broke forward and scored their first goal of the game from David Dalton. A good ball in from Diarmuid McCabe found Barry Dardis in space who squared the ball to Dalton who fired to the back of the net. By the midpoint of the half Summerhill led by a point but over the next ten minutes added two further goals which ultimately were to be the winning of this game. In the 19th minutes David Dalton intercepted an attempted short kick out from the home side and raced through to score his second goal of the game. Four minutes later Summerhill added their 3rd goal when a  long ball into the danger area from Barry Dardis eluded the Wolfe Tones defence and again David Dalton was on hand to get the faintest of touches to divert the ball to the back of the net for his third goal off the gate. At the break Summerhill led by seven points on the score line of 3-3 to 0-5.

The home side open the scoring in the second-half within 30 seconds with a point to close the gap but this was immediately cancelled out by Kevin Ryan point. In the 5th minutes of the half Tones were awarded penalty which was duly dispatched to the net by Cian Ward to reduce the deficit to three points but this was to be as close as the home side got. Summerhill re-established control of the game hitting four unanswered points, three from Kevin Ryan who was having a great game and one from Barry Dardis to push the lead out  to seven points. Two late points from the home side in injury time left final score Summerhill 3-9 Wolf Tones 1-10.

The win for Summerhill keeps them in contention for a place in the league final and they can now look forward to a welcome two-week break following a very busy period before they take on St Peters Dunboyne in the next round.

Team: Sean Mudiman, Ben Moran, Padraig Jennings, Jack Bannon, Adam MacDonnell, Jack Davies, Padhraig Geraghty, Adam Flanagan, Kevin Lyons, David Larkin, Diarmuid McCabe, Kevin Ryan (0-5), Liam Shaw (0-1), David Dalton (3-0), Barry Dardis (0-3, 2f).

Subs: Conor Summerville for David Dalton, John Lavelle for Jack Bannon, Conor Ryan for Kevin Lyons, Conor McNally for Jack Davies, Darragh McVann for Ben Moran,