Reserve Cup Division 4 Rd4

Summerhill’s 3rd played their final home game against St Colmcilles at home on a damp Tuesday evening. The match throw in was brought back to 7pm to make the most of the fading daylight but even so referee Jason Plunkett didn’t not have the luxury of playing much added time even if it was warranted as the match concluded just about before the light faded.

Summerhill were hoping to bounce back from a defeat the previous week to Bective and nothing short of a win would keep our already slim hopes of making the knock out stages alive. Due to the proximity of an important 2nd team Championship game number were very tight for the Bective game the previous week  but there were no such problem this week with a squad of 22 togged for action.

A young and lively Cilles side got off to a good start scoring 3 points in the first 5 minutes. Summerhill got off the mark with a point from Connie McGrath but the visitors picked off some fine scores from play. 3 points from the boot of Cathal Ryan steadied the ship before Summerhill struck for their first goal to level the game. A long ball in by Cathal Ryan was well gathered by full forward Connie McGrath who laid the ball off perfectly to the in rushing Conor Summerville who fired to the net. Moments later Summerhill almost scored a 2nd goal when a Cathal Ryan shot hit the post and was cleared to safety. Further points from, Conor Summerville, 2 from Ray Comey and a Cathal Ryan free were answered by 3 Cilles points to leave Summerhill leading by 1 as the break approached. On the stroke of half time Summerhill scored their second goal when a Cathal Ryan free dropped short but a mix-up in the Cilles defense saw the ball go all the way to the net for a fortuitous goal to leave the half time score 2-8 to 0-10.

Cilles opened the scoring in the second half with Cathal Ryan replying with a free. In the 10th minute of the half Summerhill’s Euan McGivern made a great run right into the hearth of the Cilles defense and was eventually upended in the box for a penalty which was duely dispatched by Cathal Ryan. This stretched Summerhill’s lead to 7 points at this stage. This however was to be Summerhill last score of the game. Summerhill continued to create chances but a combination of bad shooting and resolute St Colmcilles defending thwarted them time after time. The Cilles men were picking some fine points off on the break scoring 4 unanswered points to leave the lead at just 3 points with 5mins left on the clock.

Summerhill changed tactics at this point and decided to play keep ball. Possession was maintained around center field for long stretched of play, well marshalled by veteran Johnny Comey who was having a great game out around the middle, far away from his normal position manning the square at full back. While this possession play was hearth in the mouth stuff for the supporters it worked well in denying the visitors the opportunity to go for a levelling goal. With the light rapidly fading the referee blew the full time whistle with the final score Summerhill 3-9 St Colmcilles 0-15. 

Team: Stephen Husband, Rod McAuliffe , Eoghan Jennings, John Comey, Donal Matthews, Gary Rispin, Brian Rispin, Eoghan Grehan, Darragh McVann, Cathal Ryan (2-5, 2f 1 pen), Cathal Brien, Conor Summerville (1-1), Adam Larkin, Connie McGrath (0-1), Ray Comey (0-2)

Subs: Sean Hughes, Euan McGivern, Conor Ryan, Kevin Mulligan, Luke Byrne, Tommy Troy, Gerry O’Neill.