LMFM Meath MFC Division 1 Round 2

It was a strange evening as we traveled to Duleek for the 2nd round of the Division 1 LMFM Minor Championship. The Country had just being put on new restrictions due to Covid cases increase and these restrictions were only being released with only one parent allowed in attendance with a player etc. It brought us back to a sobering reality that we still have to be very vigilant around disease control and that we should enjoy these games to the full while we can. That said we can definitely use the saying “a game of 2 halves’”. On an evening more reminisce of a late autumn with dark sky’s heavy mist and a strong wind, the boys started lively with a great run by Euan McGivern turned in on goal and was taken down by the Duleek-Bellewstown back. The resultant Free was put over by Captain Eoghan Frayne 5mins into play. Some great simple football from the kick out resulted in a great point from Darragh McVann on 6mins. Then Duleek-Bellewstown hit their purple patch of the quarter where they hit 2 goals in quick succession at 8mins and again at 10mins. Summerhill fought back and it resulted with a free on Darragh Loughrey which Eoghan Frayne duly put over. Just before the first water break James Carroll made a great save stopping a potential goal for Duleek-Bellewstown. Score at 1st water break Summerhill 0-3 to Duleek-Bellewstown 2-01.

Duleek-Bellewstown started the quarter brightly with 2 points scored without reply. Summerhill finally scored a free on a foul on Conor Crowell, again the free was put over by Eoghan Frayne. This was followed quickly by a Duleek-Bellewstown point. We were unlucky not to get a penalty awarded to us just before half time when Conor Crowell was in on goal and got pulled to the ground before he had chance to score. Score at half Summerhill 0-4 to Duleek-Bellewstown 2-04.

On the resumption after half time Summerhill staged a great comeback and this was aided by the benefit of the wind on their side too. Duleek-Bellewstown started the scoring with a point in the 33rd minute. Some great defending by the Summerhill lads especially David Moore, Mark Flaherty and Oisin Hussey. Oisin released the ball to Ben Moran who passed a great ball into Eoghan Frayne who was dragged down, Eoghan duly put over his own free. Duleek-Bellewstown hit back with a point. On the Duleek-Bellewstown kick out Summerhill won the ball, Luke Byrne gathered the ball and there was no stopping his goal. Then both teams tapped over points, again Summerhill’s coming from Eoghan Frayne which was heading into the goal only for a great save by the Duleek-Bellewstown goalie that pushed the ball over the bar. Again Summerhill finished the quarter strongly by a free scored by Eoghan Frayne on a strong tackle on Pearse Summerville. Score at 2nd water break was Summerhill 1-07 to Duleek 2-07.

If we thought the last quarter was exciting and tough, we hadn’t seen anything yet. A great tremendous team effort was put in for the last 15mins. Eoghan Frayne put over a free in the 1st minute the free had been won by Evan Gaffney, this was quickly followed by a great block by Conor Crowell who was tackled and won the free that Eoghan Frayne put over. 2 mins later James Carroll once again put in a great save and calmed the play down. There was great football played by both sides and this ended with a tackle on Eoghan Grehan and again Eoghan Frayne put over the point. On the kick out Liam O’Neill won a great catch in the middle and hit a long pass to Eoghan Frayne and he stuck it in the corner of the net. Duleek-Bellewstown hit back with 3 unanswered points leaving it a drawn game.

Final Score: Summerhill 2-10 to Duleek-Bellewstown 2-10.

TEAM: James Carroll, Mark Flaherty, Oisin Hussey, Liam O’Neill, Euan McGivern, David Moore, Darragh Loughrey, Eoghan Frayne, Eoghan Grehan, Luke Byrne, Ben Moran, Conor Crowell, Pearse Summerville, Darragh McVann, Evan Gaffney.

Subs: Killian Clarke, Adam Hayes, Patrick Healy, Adam McDonnell, Sean Ryan.

Scorers: Eoghan Frayne 1-09 (0-8f), Luke Byrne 1-00, Darragh McVann 0-01.