SFC Final

Report Courtesy of hoganstand.com

Meath SFC final: Lowndes delivers for Dunboyne

Stuart Lowndes 54th minute goal clinched a third SFC crown for Dunboyne on Sunday at Pairc Tailteann where Summerhill pushed them hard.

Dunboyne …….. 1-11

Summerhill …… 0-9

Donal Lenihan’s delivery broke to Lowndes whose powerful finish into the town goal settled matters following a close contest. That left it 1-10 to 0-9. Dunboyne played ‘keep ball’ to good effect in the final minutes with Robert McCarthy closing the scoring.with a solo effort. In addition, Dunboyne wing-back and captain Cathal Finn earned the Colum Cromwell Man-of-the-Match award.

Summerhill were competitive for all but the final minutes, but there was no denying Dunboyne. It was tough on Summerhill, who were runners-up to Simonstown 12 months ago. To their credit Dunboyne dug in, especially when things were close. When the chance presented itself they took it.

The first significant event occurred in the opening minute when Summerhill ‘keeper Tony McDonnell conceded a 45 that yielded nothing for Dunboyne. Four minutes later a Kevin Ryan run almost created a goal chance for the ‘Hill. The Dunboyne rearguard smothered his attempt to score before the Summhill number 10 was penalised for overcarrying.

The first of Robert McCarthy’s two opening half frees got the blank off the board in the fifth minute. Points from David McEntee and Liam Byrne left Dunboyne 0-3 to 0-0 ahead with 14 minutes gone.  Seconds later a Barry Dardis free got Summehill off the mark. Three more points – Michael Byrne, David Larkin and Sean Dalton – pushed John Lyons’ men 0-4 to 0-3 ahead with 21 minutes gone.  The scores were tied for the second time, in the 23rd minute, when Dardis landed his second free. The remainder of the first-half yielded just one score, a Barry Dardis free, that left the outsiders 0-5 to 0-4 ahead at the interval.

A McCarthy free levelled matters within two minutes of the resumption. Donal Lenihan (free) restord Dunboyne’s lead. The sides were level for the third time when McCarthy landed a free within two minutes of the restart of the town goal. By the 34th minute Dunboyne were back in front. Playing towards the town they were never headed again, though John Lyons’ charges leveled matters for the fourth and final time in the 49th minute. Summerhill didn’t yield, but it wasn’t enough.

Dunboyne – Cian Flynn; Sean Ryan, Shane McEntee, Cian O’Dwyer; Cathal Finn (C), Gavin McCoy, Seamus Lavin; David Gallagher, Niall Jones; Stuart Lowndes (1-0), David McEntee (0-1), Liam Byrne (0-1); Robert McCarthy (0-7, 5 fs), Ronan Jones, Donal Lenihan (0-1 f). Subs – Craig Lowndes for Ryan (44), Cathal Lacey (0-1) for D McEntee (44), Conor Doran for Byrne (47), Shane Comiskey for Gallagher (53), Jack Donnelly for N Jones (58), Jack Scannell for O’Dwyer (60 + 3).

Summerhill – Tony McDonnell; Iarla Hughes, Caolan Young, John Lavelle; Ross Ryan, Willie Ryan (C), Padraig Geraghty (0-1); Micheal Byrne (0-1), John Keane; Kevin Ryan, David Larkin (0-2), Cian Devlin; Sean Dalton (0-1), Barry Dardis (0-4 fs), Davy Dalton. Subs – Ronan Ryan for Lavellle (37) Ciaran Gillespie for Keane (45), Paul Larkin for S Dalton (55), Liam Shaw for K Ryan (56).

Referee –  Colm McManus (Gaeil Colmcille).