1977 Souvenir Programme
The year 1977 was one of the most successful years in our clubs long history. The year saw the club take home the Keegan Cup for a remarkable fourth year in a row. Summerhill went on to beat star studded Dublin champions St Vincent’s to become the first Meath club to win the Leinster Club Championship.
The year began with the official opening of the pitch and an extension to the clubhouse on the 15th of May. This was the culmination of years of tireless work by many people in the club going back to the 1950’s when the ground was originally purchased. Their work has benefited generations of players and members of our club right up to the present day. It is important that we remember the invaluable contribution these people made to the development of our club. To quote the Meath Chronicle on the opening, “G.A.A. fans from Meath and Kildare gathered in Summerhill on Sunday evening for the “unveiling”, of a monument to the success, dedication, foresight and hard work of one of the county’s most prestigious clubs.”
The official opening was performed by Meath Co. Board chairman, Mr. Pat O’Neill, who paid tribute to the club’s achievements. The grounds and clubhouse were blessed by Rev. J. Abbott, P.P. Meath defeated Kildare after extra time in a senior football challenge to mark the occasion.
As part of the official opening the then committee put together a 96 page programme that is a remarkable snapshot in time of the club and its long history.